A great gift this month is the gift of a healthy heart. Along with Valentine’s Day, February marks American Heart Month– a perfect time to commit and make some changes to promote a better lifestyle, which can ultimately lead to a lifetime of happiness and good health.
Sometimes It’s All About the Little Things
Taking proper precautions and making small changes can make a big difference. Your heart sends oxygen, nutrients and vital nutrients to all parts of your body. That’s what your heart does for you – what have you done for ‘it’ lately? Here are a few ways to pay attention to your heart’s well-being this month.
- Be conscious of your eating habits. Try to eat healthier options, cook at home and control your sodium intake. One example, swap out the salt and use fresh herbs or dried spices instead. Try to avoid high sodium foods. Swiss Farms provides fresh, healthy prepared meals, along with “better-for-you” products at all of our store locations. (Ask your associate for more details upon arrival)
- Add exercise to your daily routine. Start by getting up and taking a walk. Adding a 30-minute walk to your day, three times a week is a small, but great step in the right direction.
- Quit smoking. If you are a smoker, quitting can cut your risk of stroke and heart disease drastically. For more information, visit cdc.gov and click the quit smoking tab.
- Change your chocolate choice. Did you know that dark chocolate, when eaten in moderation, is actually good for you? Switch it up, from milk to dark chocolate, and feel better about your snacking.
- Connect with those who make your heart happy. Spending time with family and friends gives you the opportunity to give and receive love, which is very important when keeping a positive attitude and outlook in life.
Raising Awareness by Wearing Your Red
Beating roughly 115,200 times per day, your heart is one hard worker! Across the state and the nation, millions of people will don red attire on Friday, Feb. 3 – National Wear Red Day. Women and men across the country will be wearing red sweaters, red dresses, red ties or red dress pins to show their support of the American Heart Association’s mission to saves lives from the nation’s No. 1 killer. – according to wbiw.com. Don’t forget to wear your red this Friday when you pull up to Swiss Farms to show your support.
Information referenced from cdc.com and wbiw.com
2017 is the year of the Rooster, and particularly for our new mascot, Cruiser! In ancient Chinese culture, roosters represent punctuality, for he wakes people up on time each day. Cruiser wants to wake up our community each morning, whether it be with a signature roast coffee, a delicious house-made breakfast sandwich or with some our fresh breakfast essentials – milk, bread, eggs, sausage links and more! We look forward to serving you each morning.
We are here to make sure you are serving touch-down worthy eats to all of your Super Bowl party guests – whether they are die hard football fans, or there just for the commercials and half time show.
Let’s start with the basics. Swiss Farms has got you covered: Napkins, plates, plastic cups and assorted cutlery are available at all store locations. Keeping in mind that the Super Bowl is a perfect excuse to put those healthy diets aside and indulge – what are you going to put on your plate?
How about a Swiss house-made hoagie? We have an eight-inch turkey and cheese, and eight-inch Italian that is fresh, delicious and easy to cut into pieces to share with friends. Alongside the hoagie, how about some house-made buffalo chicken dip or spinach and artichoke dip with chips, yum!
Looking for a deal?
- Hoagies will be featured two for $10
( Italian & Turkey and Cheese)
- Dips will be featured two for $11
(Buffalo Chicken, Spinach & Artichoke, New Taco!)
- A Casa Strombolis will pair your favorite stromboli with a Swiss gallon of choice for $12
(Buffalo Chicken, Cheese & Sauce, Cheesesteak, Mozzarella & Spinach, Breakfast-style)
(Saturday, February 4, and Sunday, February 5, only)
Big Game Special Dip!
Our chef, Justin Vignola has created a special taco dip for Super Bowl weekend only. Dive into this one pound portion of creamy, cheesy, beefy layered taco dip, topped with shredded lettuce and a fresh pico de gallo.
Head out to your favorite Swiss Farms location to prep for the Big Game February 4 weekend.
When making your family breakfast this weekend, why not enjoy a ‘mock-mosa’ with the kids? We not only have all of your breakfast needs, but we provide the necessary ingredients to create the perfect beverage as well.
Here is what you will need to grab from Swiss:
The Juice: We all know that the best orange juice comes from Florida. Florida’s Natural OJ is 100% pure, not from concentrate, fresh and delicious. We carry the 59 ounce bottles, which is great for the family. Not an oj fan, not to worry – we also carry Ocean Spray Cranberry juice!
The Sparkle: Grab a 2-liter of Seagram’s Ginger Ale from your local Swiss Farms store. Seagram’s delivers a crisp, clean flavor with no caffeine, so you won’t have to worry about your kids bouncing around all day. This is the perfect bubble to add in the mix, which will allow you to relax, enjoy and unwind.
The Fruit: Who doesn’t love fruit? Garnish with Full Circle Frozen Fruit, which is picked fresh at its peak ripeness, even when it is not in season. Ask your Swiss Farms associate to grab the coldest bag from the freezer.
Ok, you have the ingredients, now what: When making the mock-mosa, add the frozen fruit first, then fill three-quarters of the way with cold orange juice and top with a splash of ginger ale. Time to pour everyone this fun drink, then enjoy!
INGREDIENTS, all found at Swiss Farms: 59oz Florida’s Natural Orange Juice, 2 liter of Seagrams Ginger Ale, Ocean Spray Cranberry juice, garnish with Full Circle Frozen Fruit